Sunday, August 27, 2023

Inertia

I got word that I need to renew my lease on my apartment this week. Which, was weird because for the first 5 years, I had no lease, I just paid month-to-month. Then they remodeled and I moved and signed a one year lease, but that was about 3 years ago and I've never been asked to renew, so I assumed it was month-to-month, but apparently not. 

Anyway, no biggie, but it did get me thinking, briefly, about whether I want to move. And I was reminded that I am a person who generally thrives on inertia. 

I'm not saying I am never proactive. There are lots of things, especially where people are involved, or when cars get stolen and I have to buy a new one, where inertia just doesn't cut it. 

But some things, like "should I move or not," are strongly dictated by inertia. I mean, moving is such a hassle. I'd have to find a place, I'd have to pack, and unpack, and wherever I moved to I'd probably have to drive to work, which sounds awful. 

Whereas, if I do nothing, I can focus my energies on everything else that isn't content to remain the same. 

The laws of physics are real, and sometimes you just have to accept it. Embrace the inertia.




No comments:

Post a Comment