Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The downside of adulthood

I know. There are lots of downsides of adulthood. It definitely doesn't float on a balloon. But here's a random and very minor one.

I'm listening to a book that I have read before and enjoyed. It's a retelling of the twelve dancing princesses. I enjoy retold fairy tales, and I am enjoying this one. However. In this retelling, the youngest 'dancing' sister is an infant. Literally a baby. The oldest is maybe 16? So, 12 kids, between 0 and 16, a deceased mother, and a father who is off at war. They are all inexplicably (maybe it explains later and I will get there) they are all SUPER obsessed with dancing. And the older kids, as they are sneaking out to dance every night, are thinking, "Hey. I know what we should do. We should drag along a baby with us while we go dancing. It will be fine!" Really?!?!?!

I know it's totally a story-telling device. If stories made sense, it would just be real life, and I get it--we get plenty of that. Maybe I always realized these little bits were kind of crazy and just didn't care, but it feels like now they scream at me, instead of being subtle niggles that I just ignore.

Don't get me wrong--I'm going to keep reading and I'm going to enjoy it and it's all going to be dandy. It's just one of those dumb things about being an adult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment