Sunday, November 21, 2021

Interruptions

I have a bookshelf I've been working on staining, varnishing, and assembling since around August. And I have these moments where I sit back and think, "How is this thing not done yet?!" I mean, seriously. How has it taken me so long?

Well, the answer is "interruptions." My life has been full of them. I swear, my day never goes as planned and I acknowledge that at least some of this is on me, but so much of it is stuff just happens. Too much work, so I stay late which means less time for projects at home. (And that's the number one reason why stuff isn't getting done right now. The work-life balance is a little not there). People needing things suddenly, shifting all the priorities for the day. An unexpected phone call--which I am notoriously bad at keeping short. 

It's also not helpful that my brain feels like mush, so by the end of a workday, I'm not at any kind of capacity. And I think everyone is feeling tired. At least, all the surveys I've done have confirmed that conclusion. Which is also not helping in the productivity department. 

But at some point, I will get that shelf done. And I'm optimistic that I will get that at some point, I'll even get a little more together and actually get some things done. Because one can dream.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment