Sunday, August 15, 2021

Construction here, construction there

Construction, construction, everywhere! 

I'm not even kidding. My city right now feels like someone decided to bulldoze and start over. 

My apartment complex, and the building next door, are being renovated. 

The major tourist attraction is being renovated and earthquake-proofed.

The convention center is being renovated and expanded. 

There are half a dozen high rise apartment buildings going up, probably in a 1-mile radius of me, not to count all the buildings everywhere outside of that.

And the roads! I don't know if someone just had a lot of spare concrete or something, but so many roads are being relaid. 

Everywhere I go, stuff is being built. Which feels weird, because 1) pandemic, and 2) it feels like the planet is burning down, and some part of my brain is saying, "This doesn't seem good for the planet." But, also, the old stuff wasn't good for the planet, so maybe the new stuff will be? It's all so complicated! Give me calculus over climate math any day!

Also, there is a real drawback to so much construction. When it rains, my car ends up covered in a layer of dust, instead of nicely cleaned. Although, we're in a drought, so that is less of a problem than I'd like it to be.

And for a while, there was a bug problem. I think all the building was disrupting the insects' homes, so they came and hung out with me for a while, but I must not have been very hospitable, because they haven't been around for a couple of months. Granted, smashing guests with a shoe is not hospitable, which means my messaging must have worked.

Anyway, mostly I'm tired of all the building. It makes no sense, because most of it doesn't directly affect me, but I'm still kind of tired of it being everywhere. So, maybe we could finish something for a change of pace?

No comments:

Post a Comment