Sunday, September 8, 2019

Reader's guilt

Yesterday, I woke up and finished reading a book. I just spent maybe an hour or two reading, doing nothing else.

Now, I used to just read all the time. As a kid, probably half of my summer hours were just lounging around reading. We went to the library practically every week during the summer. Somehow, I could just read and it was fine, no guilt.

But yesterday I kept thinking that surely there should be something else I should be doing. Adults can't just sit around reading, right? That's not a thing? But honestly, why shouldn't it be? Not everyday, necessarily, but I should I feel guilty? It just seemed like there was something more important I could have been doing. And there were, but at the same time, not necessarily a better use of the limited time I have on planet earth, depending on how you look at it.

So, I finished the book--which meant I walked to the library to return it, which was healthy--and I enjoyed it, so I'm not going to worry about it. But I do kind of miss the guilt-free days of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment