Monday, July 10, 2017

The religion cookie

This week I was listening to a podcast* and one of the comments was about how this person felt religion is fine, but not in public.

Now, I'm not sure what exactly they meant by that and I don't plan on getting into a debate about religion in the public square or anything. I am also assuming that this person had a specific concept in mind when they spoke--maybe it was in regards to legislation, or praying in public, or wearing a headscarf. I don't know because it was just one line with no context around it, so it isn't fair to judge them by that one statement. And I'm willing to bet that they are a decent person, a good neighbor, someone who is trying to do the right thing.

But taking the statement as spoken, as a religious person I couldn't help but wonder how on earth I'm supposed to do that? Maybe it is different for other religious people, but I just don't know where to draw the boundary on my religious actions and my non-religious ones. It would be like telling someone they couldn't be Texan in public. Or like trying to sort out the flour from cookie dough once it's mixed.

I know there is a lot of talk about this topic these days. Especially around legislation. And maybe that's what this person meant--don't bring your religion into public policy? But it's my religion that teaches me not to discriminate and to be kind, and not to steal or lie or kill. It's my religion that teaches me to serve in the community, to pay my taxes (and be honest about it), to help the needy. It's my religion that teaches me that every one has worth and to see them as people who matter. Oh, sure, the law says a lot of that to. But I learned it from my religion first, and I choose to live up to that standard because of my faith, not because of the government. So, you see, it's a bit tricky, because my faith defines my identity and how do I keep that private?

And because my beliefs are so much a part of me, I can understand how someone else's beliefs, religious or not, are equally important to them. And they shouldn't have to hide that part of themselves when they leave the house, either. Not that that gives anyone permission to force their values on anyone else, but we do need to be able to be our whole selves in a way that is respectful and to be able to appropriately express our beliefs in the public square. There's a lot to be gained from doing so.

And when we do, we have to be prepared for some give and take. Sometimes, society will go in a different direction than what my religious beliefs encourage. But in my experience, there is always a way to make that work. We can get along! There's room for all of us and our beliefs! Without anyone going into hiding! It takes respect and kindness, and being willing to not be offended, but it's doable.

It's also our best option, because there's pretty much no good way to get flour out of cookie dough.

*Me and my podcasts. I think I might actually be podcasted out. I need more comedy podcasts, but it's so hard to find clean comedy. Times like this, one resorts to Terry Pratchett audiobooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment