Thursday, January 22, 2015

Compartmentalizing

Recently, I caved in and upgraded to a smartphone. It was a bit of a bittersweet moment, because I am no longer a card-carrying member of the Luddites, and I enjoyed being one of the few who has technology dumber than themselves.

But due to certain situations, I was compelled to 'modernize', those situations being 1) winter bus-riding and 2) not having a local branch of my bank but needing to make a regular deposit. Other than that, my phone, however smart it may be, still has one specific purpose: Communication.

When it comes to technology, I am very compartmentalized. My phone is a phone. I use it for phone calls and texts (and, now, to check if the bus is on its way and to deposit checks more conveniently). I have an iPod for audio enjoyment. I have a camera for taking pictures. I use my tablet for streaming video, playing games, and reading. And if I need to create documents, surf the web, or do other computing tasks, I use my laptop. A device for everything and everything on a device, ha ha.

There are some people who find this behavior very bizarre and assume that anyone who would choose to use different devices for different tasks must be some kind of technophobe. This, friends, is far from the truth. It is simply a different way of organizing oneself. I just happen to have the type of personality that finds different devices more conducive for certain tasks. It doesn't make me out-of-date or a dinosaur or technologically incompetent. It is just how I choose to arrange myself and order the tech in my life.

So, on behalf of all the like-minded people out there, I'm standing up for tech-preference diversity. Thank you for respecting my technology choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment