Sunday, May 11, 2014

What flavor is your lettuce?

Today, I pulled out my bag of lettuce and noticed that the bag told me the lettuce was "sweet and subtle." And crisp, which is texture not flavor, but it was on the bag. Anyway, I gotta confess, I never really thought lettuce had a flavor, except maybe Ranch or Vinaigrette. Sometimes it is bitter, but I always figured it wasn't supposed to be. Never, ever in a million years would I have described any lettuce as "sweet and subtle." Which made me wonder if there are 'lettuce tasters' wandering around describing the flavors of lettuce. "Watery, with a touch of dirt." "Bitter hinting of vengeance." (In which case, eater beware). At which point, I decided no one should spend that much time on a Sunday contemplating the nature of lettuce, and moved on to other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment