Sunday, March 23, 2014

Getting things done

I always seem to forget how good it feels to be productive in my personal life. I think I am pretty productive at work, considering that the big overall projects can't be knocked out with any kind of quick turnaround.* I also have multiple projects going on at any given moment, but I do find that there are little milestones I achieve, which are rewarding. 

Anyway, I always seem to forget how nice it is to check things off my personal to do list. My brain has this mentality of, "I've worked all day long and had to be focused on the job. Now I just want to ooze."** So I don't ever get anything done. 

I also have this problem where I'm so worried and stressed so often, that I spend a lot of time feeling worried and stressed. You may not realize it, but it takes a LOT of effort and time to be worried and stressed. So, I feel like I'm super busy and don't have time to get things done, only to realize that I am busy worrying and stressing. Which is completely non-productive, exhausting, and not good for any kind of health. 

But today (once I finally got going***) I actually got quite a bit done. I didn't move mountains or anything, but I felt like I accomplished something. And it was a good feeling. 

The thing is, I always know that it's going to feel good to be busy and to do things. But I don't seem to do anything about it. Like, do things. And I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I used to be good about keeping a to do list on my iPod. It was great, because I got to tick things off (why is that so satisfying?!). Then, somehow, I fell off the wagon on that--maybe it was having the Kindle, maybe it was just me dropping the ball. But I've never really gotten back on track. But I really liked accomplishing something with my day. I like how it felt. I hope I figure out a solution that works for me, because I could use that feel-goodness in my life. 


*You try sorting through 250 boxes of material from more than a dozen different people from the last 40 years. It isn't quick. 
**If your brain tries to tell you this, ignore it. Brains do not always know what is good for them. 
*** I think the software for the 3.4 release is a bit buggy, because the boot up is really sluggish.

No comments:

Post a Comment