Saturday, January 4, 2014

Books and covers and that sort of thing

So there has been this thread on Twitter (which I don't follow but know about, though I don't have any idea what people are actually saying on it) where people are sharing their experience being a certain minority somewhere. I am not a minority, and most of the time I feel like I don't even get to claim any kind of cultural heritage (despite having English, Irish, Scottish, German, and Danish ancestors. Just because they are European, I don't get to be proud of them, or acknowledge my unique heritage?! What is up with that? Come on, fair's fair. Equality, right?) So I've been thinking what I would say about being me (white, single, American, Christian, straight, etc.) but that seemed kind of heavy, so today, some myth-busting about me. To keep it light.

I grew up in Idaho. 
Myth: I lived on a potato farm. 
Truth: I have never even seen a potato farm, that I recall. (Note the disclaimer.) My grandpa grew potatoes in his garden, but the only experience I have had with Idaho potatoes has been buying them at the store. That I am aware of.
Second myth/truth: Idaho and Iowa are 2 different places. Really. 

I am shy.
Myth: I must be boring, or at least uninteresting.
Truth: I have been told I'm quite funny. And people seem to enjoy having conversations with me. Maybe they are just being nice.

I'm an archivist.
Myth: I live in the past and can be found doddering around dusty old bookshelves.
Truth: The past does inform my present (not the same as living in the past, friends). And I do get dusty and dirty. But most of the materials I work with are younger than me. Not always, but mostly. (Although most of the fun stuff is older than that. And I did once find a letter written on the day I was born. Kind of cool). Nope, my job is actually pretty current. And awesome.

I'm 'thin' or 'slender' or 'skinny' or whatever
Myth: I must be a very healthy and fit person.
Truth: Balance and diet should probably find themselves in one another's company in my vocabulary much more often.

I'm pretty ordinary. Ish.
Myth: Ordinary is a bad thing to be.
Truth: Have you ever noticed how amazing ordinary people are? Who are the people who go into burning buildings and help the little old ladies and make the world actually function? The ordinary people. Ordinary is fantastic. It means you aren't a politician, a dictator, a drug-addict celebrity, or Justin Bieber. Thank you for ordinary.

I am an adult.
Myth: I know what I'm doing.
Truth: HA!

Well, that's all for Truth and Myth today. I hope you feel enlightened!

This post brought to you by:
Dust
Chocolate
Sophomore English, where we studied a bit of mythology
George Lucas, who created a mythology
J. R. R. Tolkien, who created a better mythology
The Vikings
Potatoes
Geography
and the number 7

...but not Bieber. Never him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment