Thursday, October 31, 2013

Bah Humbug

Halloween is a weird holiday. I am sure that there was a time when it actually met something but now, anyone would be hard pressed to say it is anything more than a day to wear costumes and get candy. I suppose neither of those are bad things in and of themselves, but it is really hard to get excited about a day that is kind of meaningless. Not that it is bad to do something just for fun. I'm all about fun. It just seems kind of odd to have a day set aside to dress up and get candy, and nothing else. Although it is a pretty decent way to generate a theme for a party.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a Halloween grinch this year. No, I'm not running around stealing candy and masks from kids. But I am totally devoid of any Halloween spirit (which, what is the Halloween spirit, anyway?) I've never really gone big when it comes to celebrating and always kind of dreaded it a little. I hate coming up with costume ideas. (One year, I had the idea to be a hula dancer. That was one of my favorite Halloweens, because I was actually excited about my costume). Nowadays, I don't even have to worry about costumes, so at least that was an improvement. I didn't buy candy (which, I live in a secure building, which is kind of off-putting for trick-or-treating), didn't see any trick-or-treaters. No pumpkins. Nothing. It was kind of an ambivalent holiday.

On the bright side, though, it was a great excuse to come home, put in Arsenic and Old Lace, which is a fantastic show, and finish staining my dresser. Which is probably a really lame way to celebrate Halloween, but really, is it any worse than playing dress up?



No comments:

Post a Comment