Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cosmic Math

I always liked math in school, at least until my first college math course, which was Calculus 2. Calculus 2 was all about theory, "let's prove the formulas that we use", and series and sequences and beyond me. I like the kind of math that says, "Here's the problem, here's the formula, the rules you have to apply, now, get an answer." Plug in the numbers, step a, step b, step c. That's my kind of math.

Cosmic math is much more like Calculus 2--theoretical, no rules, nothing reliable. Cosmic math doesn't follow a pattern. In cosmic math, 2+2 can equal 45. Which is just one of the reasons why life is what it is.
I think Cosmic always works out perfectly in the end, but it's hard to say, because it can be hard to follow how it all works out, so I can't necessarily say cause and effect. But, I have a lot of faith in cosmic math.

An example of Cosmic math: My car needed a lot of work. It worried me a lot, because I couldn't afford the work, or a new(er) car, or anything. Well, on the way home from an interview, I slid on the road and totaled my car. Which, as horrible as that was, solved the whole, "what to do with my car" problem. And, even better, my car was actually covered for collision, so the insurance settled. So, not only did it solve my dead car problem, but it gave me some funds. Which are also needed, and which can help take care of a new car, if I need them too. So, this terrible terrible thing ended up solving a lot of problems and really being for the best. THAT is cosmic math. Because, no one in their right mind would ever say, "I bet the solution to my problems is to total my car." (No one should EVER say that. Ever).

Now, I am hoping that cosmic math will finally, finally make the agony of the last year result in the most amazing and unforeseen 2+2=45 ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment