Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Next question

So, I have been participating in Alternate Spring Break (what is that, you ask? Well, instead of heading off to play and be lazy, I am volunteering at a library in the area, helping with outreach and whatever else they need), and I have been meeting lots of new people in my field, and the question that keeps arising is, "So, how did you get into this field?" And I have discovered that I am really sick of telling that story.

Don't get me wrong--it's not that I don't like my field, or that I am not glad for the events that got me here. I think it's more the unprofessional approach of it all. I'm surrounded by people who seem much more driven for me, and my story really seems haphazard in comparison. For example, I never worked in a library or archive before, which always begs the question, how did I know it was what I wanted to do? And, how did I pick my university? I read about it on the internet, and was really excited. The first time I set foot on campus was about a week before classes started. I only applied to one school. And don't ask why I am attending an Information School, because I really didn't pay any attention to that until I got here and started hearing all about it.

All of which is quite amusing, but not quite the way you want to present yourself to potential employers and future colleagues, if you know what I'm saying.

Besides, my studies don't really define who I am. It's one aspect of me, but I'm such a novice at what I'm learning about, and I have so many other interests (what do you expect after years of living?!), and maybe that's why I get bored rehashing the story over and over. I would rather talk about my family, Penny the goofy dog, my award winning story (or my non-award-winning-to-date stories), the places I've traveled, things I've read that I'm thinking about, what I'm learning in my classes (I do like to talk about this, but I find that it doesn't inspire the same interest in others that it does in me. Which is okay), and what I believe in.

The truth is, as crazy as my being here seems, it never seemed all that crazy to me. I knew it was the right thing to do because I prayed about it. Not everyone would understand that, sadly. But since this is my blog, I decided to set the story straight, and there you have it, all you readers--at least, reader, and those I hope will read someday.

So, moving on to the next question...if you could do an interview with anyone who ever lived, or is still living, or, just for fun, who may ever live, who would it be, and what questions would you ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment