Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Dog's Life

I was thinking of my brother's dog today. I used to take her for walks, and I would let her off the leash so she could run and sniff and enjoy the outdoors. I wasn't supposed to, according to the city ordinances (I know, engaging in a life of law breaking for a dog! That's true puppy love) but I couldn't help it. As Radar O'Reilly would say, "Dogs are people too." It was a very simple way to make her incredibly happy. And she was much better behaved when she had freedom to roam than when she was tied to a leash. I loved to watch her chasing things. She'd sniff out mice, and she would bounce around in the weeds trying to catch them. (She did, a couple of times). She also liked to take a swim in the river. She wasn't supposed to--the water was absolutely filthy, and she always had to have a bath when she did--but even when she did, I couldn't be too angry because you could tell she had enjoyed it so much. And on those walks, I couldn't help thinking about how such simple things could make someone so happy. To the happy, simple life of a dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment