When I was a kid, my mom canned peaches and pears. We'd have boxes of fruit sitting in the basement for a couple of weeks while she canned (we did help her). And the peaches were sooooooooooo good. Honestly, canned fruit from the store is ruined forever.
As an adult, I've tried and tried to find good peaches at the store, and it's always a disaster. They are always hard, and they don't ripen correctly. A ripe peach has this texture where you push on it and it dents, but there's a feel to it that you know means it is ripe. Peaches shipped to the store get this rubbery texture when you test for ripeness, it's just wrong. And they smell good but the taste and texture while eating the peach is completely wrong.
So, last Saturday I walked into a grocery store and they had locally grown peaches for purchase. I tested some, and they had the right ripeness texture, so I bought a week's worth, and man, was it worth it!!! They are just what peaches should be. I think I've only had one that had a spot that wasn't quite as good. It's amazing and my only lament is that I'm going out of this town this week and I'm worried that they won't still be available by the time I get back.
I had so little hope for good peaches at all this year, because we've had a bad growing year locally, so this has been a lovely little joy for the week. Go, peaches!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment