Someday, the streaming services will realize that I am NEVER looking for or going to watch an R-rated movie, and will either let me filter my search without that rating or stop suggesting shows with that rating. (I believe Netflix does let you set a filter for rating. Bless them).
I think I am just disillusioned with algorithms and AI because they are supposed to be good at pattern recognition, but honestly, so far they kind of stink at it. Maybe that's not what algorithms do? But it does seem to be the whole premise: You are interested in x, maybe you are also interested in this thing which is x-ish. But why can't they figure out "Of the last 30 things you said you didn't want, they all had this thing in common: Threads. Maybe that's the thing you don't want."
Truthfully, I think the algorithms and AI could do it, I'm just not sure it's in the company's interest to stop driving me insane. It should be--an insane customer isn't much of a customer. They aren't functional enough to be a customer, because their brain has been blown up by the sanity terrorists that are their algorithms. Brain dead people aren't known for doing a lot of news reading and TV viewing. Or shopping, which also uses a lot of algorithms and does so very poorly. And they aren't known for paying their bills, I would think.
Anyway, here's hoping someday comes. One can always dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment