Sunday, March 26, 2023

The other side of the table

In my new* role at work, I drew the short straw and now oversee some hiring. Nothing big, mostly interns and the occasional contract position. And I've just got to say, it's very weird.

I'm not saying that I know a ton about hiring. Honestly, I can only speak for myself, which, pro tip for all you job applicants: in my experience, 90% of the time not getting hired for a job probably has more to do with the person hiring than the person applying. And also based on my experience, it's far less objective than it needs to be. And, again not saying I'm amazing at it, but I do try hard to build in some objectivity. And I've done hiring where we wanted to hire all of the finalists and had confidence that they would all be great but in the end, one had a skillset we needed specifically at that particular moment. The equation might be:
             employer personality + business need + candidate qualifications = hiring decision
And that is an overly simplistic equation.

Anyway, it's super weird to be on the side of the table where I'm making hiring decisions. I still feel like I am trying to convince the world I'm worth hiring most of the time! So it is totally strange that I am the one looking at a resume and ruling people out, compiling questions for an interview, conducting interviews, and actually choosing who we hire. And I've gotten lucky because we've had some good people apply (not sure I'm good at picking them, so much as they've just been great). But honestly? How did I end up here? 

Just more evidence that the world makes very little sense, my friends. 

*newish--I mean, it's almost 2 years. Although it took 6 months for the boss to actually figure out what the job was, so that doesn't count, and they announced the changes and then took 4 months to actually make them happen, so yeah. It still feels new.

No comments:

Post a Comment