Sunday, April 25, 2021

Post-pandemic life

I know the pandemic has had different impacts on everyone. I didn't feel like I struggled with the isolation as much as some. I like people, but also find them overwhelming (yep, it's a thing. It happens. It's fine). It wasn't until this March that I first thought, "Yeah. I won't mind going back to the office."* 

Naturally, going back will be an adjustment, but if there's one thing I learned from this pandemic (and life in general), it's that we adjust way quicker than we think we will. It'll be routine before I know it. 

I'm not looking forward to a work schedule, and there's definitely less flexibility when working in the office in terms of work hours. But, there are some things that are going to be definite improvements:

  • An eating schedule!!! Because I can't just snack all day long in the office. Like, seriously, I can't. I work in an archive and food and records don't mix, so it's just not an option.
  • Going to lunch! I have really missed lunch with coworker friends. Because, eating alone is just super boring, and having the social element to lunch just makes it better. I"m really hoping that my eating life takes a turn for the better. 
  • Being able to go and talk to a colleague face-to-face instead of having to have an email or chat conversation. I'm SO stoked for that. 
  • Not staring at a computer screen all day long! There will still be plenty of screentime, but in the office, I do a lot of work with paper records. And it's super nice.
  • Another advantage of paper records is that often they are so much faster. You just can't skim through scanned images as fast as the physical items. I just wanna feel paper again!
  • No masks!! I know this is a ways out, and I do love my sloth mask, but It will be nice to drop that accessory. Eventually. 
  • Fewer spam calls?!?!?! I know for a fact that I never got this many spam calls when I was working in the office. One day, working from home, I got ten in one day! That's just too much. I'm really hoping...
  • Good by couch! I like my couch, but honestly, I'm tired of sitting on it all day every day. I do go for regular walks, but still. It will be nice to change it up.
  • Physical activity. I move around SO much more at the office. I have to run and get supplies, or go put this collection in storage, or get it out of storage, or run downstairs to check something, or walk home for lunch, or go ask a coworker a question. Which just doesn't have to happen at home.
  • People. I really do like my coworkers. Like I say, I like people. Even if they do sometimes stress me out. But it will be nice to see my peeps again.
So it won't be all bad. I'll definitely miss some things, and I'll be totally socially awkward. But, it will pass and all these good things will help.

*If I thought the universe revolved around me that much, I'd apologize for making this drag on so long until I was ready to end it. But, quite frankly, the universe doesn't cater to me that much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment