Thursday, April 20, 2017

I need a jet

Today I went to a lunch and learn where a colleague presented on his trip to Egypt and Petra. And, my mind being what it is, it sort of wandered within the scope of the presentation. It wandered thus:

1. It's a good thing not everyone is like me, because I think I would have said, "No way am I spending my life carving away stone to make that building." And there would be a much less beautiful world. I'm not artistic myself, but I definitely appreciate people who can create from physical materials and am always in awe of their skill and patience. I would have said, "A plain facade is going to be good enough for this temple at Petra." So, we can all consider ourselves very lucky the world isn't full of people just like me. Because Petra would definitely not be what it is.

3. Speaking of Petra, I remember looking at photographs on some Google Virtual tour thing or something like that, and one of the most mind-boggling things was the image of the camels sitting on the ground. Their hind legs bend backwards! Who knew?! Camels--fascinating.

2. I was reminded of the person who said looking at photographs in National Geographic was all she needed to get her taste of the world. How can that be enough? I look at photos and want to hop a plane and go see these places for myself. Photos are great, but the real thing is an experience. A photo can't give you that.

4. I don't think I want to travel with a tour group. This is not the same as not wanting to have a guide, someone who knows the ropes and can keep me safe. But I don't really love tourist travel. I don't want to see the castles of Europe or the Pyramids of Egypt or the Great Wall of China. I mean, I do. But I don't want to just see them and then whirl off and only know about this tiny drop in the bucket, the things outside of the context of the people. I want to live in Europe. I want to see the people in Africa. Because humanity is so beautiful and there is something about watching people be themselves, seeing them live and work and laugh and play. The best moments of my trips last year were the moments with people, not the sights. I just want to sit in a park in some new place and watch humanity go by, and please let there be children! So, I want to tour humanity. And, sure, I'll hit up some museums and sights while I'm at it. Why not?

Anyway, I think I need a jet. And a pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment